[Emploi] Full Professor in Communication and Organizations
University of Amsterdam Department of Communication Science
Full professor Communication and Organizations
Publication date 21 January 2021
Closing date 1 March 2021
Level of education PhD
Hours 38 hours per week
Salary indication €5,749 to €8,371 gross per month
Vacancy number 21-036
Are you interested in working for one of Europe’s leading research universities? Effective immediately, we are seeking an inspiring full professor Communication & Organizations at the department of Communication Science.
Communication Science at the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, University of Amsterdam (UvA), focuses on the production, uses, and consequences of information and communication in informing, persuading, and entertaining citizens. There are currently four program groups: Corporate Communication, Political Communication & Journalism, Persuasive Communication, and Youth& Media Entertainment.
With approximately 1,600 undergraduate and graduate students, Communication Science is among the biggest departments at the UvA. The College of Communication and the Graduate School of Communication offer a Bachelor and Master program, a European joint degree program in Journalism and a Research Master, the only of its kind in the Netherlands. The research is organized in the Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR). ASCoR hosts the Research Priority Area Communication of the UvA. Communication Science at the UvA has a top ranking in the QS World University Rankings by Subject.
What will you be doing?
The program group Corporate Communication is part of the Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR) and uses a communication science perspective in teaching and research, and aims at using and improving quantitative and mixed-methods research.
The research of the program group is focused on studying the communication of organizations from a societal perspective. The emphasis is on the communicative interplay between organizations, (digital) media/journalism and internal and external stakeholders of organizations in issue arenas and public debates. A broad spectrum of organizational issues like artificial intelligence & technology use, remote & multi-locational work, and societal issues like mediatization, legitimacy & visibility, and corporate social sustainability & diversity is studied. These issues are studied by using communication science theories. Organizations include companies in the private sector, but also civil society and public organizations.
Our full professor Communication & Organizations:
- is an expert in communication science and applies communication science theories in the context of communication of organizations;
- has a strong empirical-analytical focus;
- makes important contributions to the development of the ASCoR research program by conducting, initiating and supervising research about organizations and their (digital) corporate media, organizations and the news media/journalism and the communication of organizations with their (dispersed) employees;
- is interested in conducting research in and teach about the strategic communication of organizations in the issue arenas of today’s (digital) society and the consequences thereof for employees, other sociopolitical and economic actors (like politicians and journalists) and the general public;
- has knowledge about and is interested in innovative research methods e.g. automated content analyses, computational and other large scale research methods;
- teaches regular modules in the curricula of Communication Science at the Bachelor and Master level. The Master program and the Research Master program are taught in English, the Bachelor program in English and Dutch. Teaching at the Bachelor level is considered an important part of the teaching tasks;
- supervises and evaluates Bachelor theses and Master theses;
- supervises PhD students within the research program of ASCoR;
- participates in committees, groups and projects in the program group Corporate Communication and the department Communication Science;
- organizes teaching in the field of Corporate Communication;
- fulfills management functions;
- represents the program group in internal and external contexts;
- acquires research grants.
What do we require of you?
- has a PhD in one of the social sciences, preferably communication science;
- has a broad knowledge of communication science in general and the application of communication science in the context of organizations;
- has a strong interest in communication of organizations, (digital) media, journalism, social issues and public debates;
- is an ambitious and inspiring leader who is able to develop the vision of the program group, to connect the different research themes and coach (junior) scholars in the program group further;
- has a good publication record as proven by publications in prominent communication science journals;
- has a good record of acquiring research grants;
- has a proven ability to attract indirectly funded and contract research projects in the second and third money flow and to manage such projects;
- is capable of initiating, organizing and managing research projects in cooperation with the professional field of corporate communication e.g. to build consortia with profit and nonprofit organizations;
- is an experienced teacher and researcher;
- has a strong empirical-analytical research profile;
- has the qualities and capacities to lead the program group and to take on management functions within the department or the education or research institutes;
- conducts research that has a proven impact on society and has an agenda for the valorization of communication science in society and more specific for the diffusion of scientific knowledge in the professional field of corporate communication;
- speaks English and Dutch fluently or is willing to learn Dutch;
- is willing to commit to the further development of open science;
- has a network and/or is an active member in the global communication science community or related communities.
What can we offer you?
A challenging work environment with a variety of duties and ample scope for individual initiative and development within an inspiring organisation. The social and behavioural sciences play a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands and Amsterdam, now and in the future.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
The UvA is an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritise diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for everyone. We value a spirit of enquiry and perseverance, provide the space to keep asking questions, and promote a culture of curiosity and creativity.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Prof. J.C.M (Julia) van Weert, full professor Health Communication, Chair of the department Communication Science
Would you like to learn more about working at the University of Amsterdam? Visit our website.
The position concerns an appointment of 38 hours per week. The starting date is negotiable. Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €5.749 and a maximum salary of €8.371 gross per month based on a full-time appointment for a 38-hour working week (in keeping with scale H2, as per the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities).
We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary employee benefits, including a generous holiday scheme and year-end bonus. Because we value your continued personal development and professionalisation, we also offer excellent opportunities for study and development.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Does this profile sound like you? If so, we are eager to receive your CV and covering letter.
You may apply online by clicking the link below.
The deadline for applications is 1 March 2021.
No agencies please